Follow GuyMacPherson on Twitter

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mar. 9: Mounties (Steve Bays, Hawksley Workman, Ryan Dahle)

"Camera's over here, fellas."
From left, Workman, Dahle, Bays.
As its name would imply, What's So Funny? usually draws its guests from the vast world of comedy. Occasionally, though, I like to throw a bone to a young up-and-coming band struggling to make its way in the world of show business. I think of it as giving back to the community. So when the fledgling group Mounties approached me and begged to be on the show, I welcomed them with open arms.

Regular listeners of the show will be familiar with Steve Bays, who's been with us four previous times. Steve sometimes warbles with bands such as Fur Trade and the redundantly named Hot Hot Heat. Tonight he brings along two other boys with him: Ryan Dahle has dabbled in music with the bands Age of Electric and Limblifter; and Hawksley Workman, known for his work with Hawksley Workman (obviously he doesn't play well with others). Together the three lads have formed what is apparently known in the business as a "supergroup." I'll ask them what that means but presumably their costumes involve capes and masks – rock and roll isn't really my area of expertise. But I bought and paid for with my own hard-earned cash the new Mounties album just released this past week called Thrash Rock Legacy and I must say it's quite catchy. I highly recommend it. Don't let the title fool you. These boys have a lot of talent; they're not just out there thrashing around like animals.

So tune in tonight for all the fun and frivolity that only three musicians can bring you. We're on the air at 11 pm and will go until it ends, whenever that may be. Tune in to CFRO, Vancouver Co-op radio, 100.5 FM. If you're from far away, livestream us at coopradio.org. And of course we'll drop it as a podcast episode when I get around to it. Go download their album first to prime you. And check them out at a venue near you. They're going on tour in ten days once they learn all their songs and choreography. I will be in the front row at the Commodore when they play there on March 21 enjoying the mosh pit.

No comments: