Follow GuyMacPherson on Twitter

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Oct. 5: Alonzo Bodden

Alonzo Bodden was in town a couple weeks ago headlining at Yuk Yuk's. I go way back with Alonzo, more than ten years. I've interviewed him a few times and once matched up with him in an artists vs industry basketball game at the Just For Laughs festival in Montreal. He was a handful. He dunked on me. But I managed to score on him, too. Can't remember who won the game but let's go with my team. I could be wrong.

We sat in an empty Yuk Yuk's on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon and reminisced about that game. We also talked basketball in general and jazz, but I don't want you to give it a pass just because of that. I actually edited out a lot from both topics. We also got into issues, such as his success in Canada, the problem with ESPN and football, Miley Cyrus, growing up as a black teenager and having a gun pointed at him by the police, Condoleezza Rice, racism, having FOX News approach him to be a right wing black comic, past demons, and which season was the best on Last Comic Standing.

We're on the air at 11 pm. You can livestream us at coopradio.org.

No comments: